Purdue Bronies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Purdue Bronies

Forums for the Purdue Bronies Group

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Magic: The Gathering Cube

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ysh
Ponyville Resident

Magic: The Gathering Cube Empty
PostSubject: Magic: The Gathering Cube   Magic: The Gathering Cube Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 3:16 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

1. Introduction
    I've been waiting for us to get a forum for many reasons, and this was one of them. Previously, there was no good way for me to have large amounts of information constantly available in a way that allowed new members to know what's going on without spamming the page and annoying old/disinterested members. Well, not any more! Now I can fill pages of space with propaganda information about my hobby without being a nuisance. I'm going to attempt to explain everything you need to know in a way that's easy to understand, but I'm undoubtedly going to be redundant in some areas and brief in others, so feedback is always accepted (and encouraged). By the end of this, you should hopefully be able to competently draft cube and play some games of Magic. If you already know how to do one or more of these things, feel free to skip the related parts.

1.1 Table of Contents:

1.2 What is Magic?:

1.3 What is Cube?:

2. Playing Magic
   Hopefully the above descriptions were ambiguous enough that they can be understood without any knowledge of the game, but specific enough that you have a decent idea going forward of how things are going to work. If not, then I'm a failure and you should let me know. Any way you slice it, Magic is a pretty complicated game, and this next section is probably going to be fairly sizable. Playing is going to be made more difficult since Cube not only requires you to know how to play, but it also requires you to evaluate cards, form strategies with a restricted card pool, and build decks. Don't worry though, you can probably handle it.

2.1 The Five Colors:

2.2 Anatomy of a Card:

2.3 Types of Cards:

2.4 The Stack:

2.5 Abilities:

2.6 Combat:

2.7 Phases and Steps:

3. The Cube
    Now hopefully you should understand the basics of the game, enough to at least understand what you're looking at when trying to draft. Still, it's much better to know which cards are in the pool so that you don't pick something hoping to combo it with something that just isn't there. This section will go over the list and its contents (I won't post a justification for each card in the list because I'm sure nobody cares, but if you want to know why a specific card is in the list, why I think it's good, what I'm trying to encourage with its inclusion, etc. or if there's a card that you think should be in and want to know why it isn't feel free to ask). I will also attempt to go over some basic draft strategy, but I'm only a decent limited player myself, so keep that in mind. Finally, I will also include some of the commonly seen archetypes and what cards are good to draft for them.

Placeholder:

4. Conclusion
    My goal is for people to be able to read through this, show up to a draft, and be able to play at a reasonable level so that they can try the game without having to spend any money. I'm not sure how effective that will be, and I'm also not sure how much, if any, interest there is in the group in general. Feedback is always nice so that I can improve this over time, it's difficult to explain things in a way that makes sense to a new player since I already know all of the information. I also intend to use this thread to discuss the cube (since I know at least a few people in the group already play it) and any potential changes/improvements that can be made, as well as any other archetypes that I'm missing. We can also arrange when/where we can meet to play it, since finding space that we can plan in for any length of time is fairly difficult. Eventually I'll place a spoiler at the bottom with references (like the full rulebook or various other links), but this is still a work in progress.
Back to top Go down
Octavio
The Pony
Octavio

Magic: The Gathering Cube Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering Cube   Magic: The Gathering Cube Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm

So did we ever decide if we should reserve a day for just magic and if so, when?
Back to top Go down

Magic: The Gathering Cube
Page 1 of 1